Resident Evil fans will have a lot to rejoice about soon.
Capcom is releasing a remastered HD version of the classic Resident Evil for Xbox One on January 20. Those excited for the release can now pre-order/pre-load it here, so that the game is ready to go the first minute it’s fully released.
An Xbox 360 version of Resident Evil is currently only available on the Japanese Xbox Live Marketplace for digital purchase and is region free. That version was released at the end of November of 2014.
In other Resident Evil news, Resident Evil Revelations 2 will be released less than one month after the Xbox One version of Resident Evil. Well, sort of.
Capcom is taking another new approach to survival-horror by releasing the contents of Resident Evil Revelations 2 in an episodic manner. These episodes will focus on two different pairs of characters. Keep reading for more details.
The first pair includes the classic character Claire Redfield finally returning to another Resident Evil game as well as the newcomer Moira Burton. Both Claire and Moira have been kidnapped been stranded on a remote prison island with a bunch of unfriendly creatures. Claire and Moira have to work together to escape a desperate situation.
The second pair features another classic character, Barry Burton, coming to find his daughter on a remote prison island after receiving an SOS signal for help. While on the island, he finds newcomer Natalia Korda who seems to have unusual powers.
Who is the culprit responsible for all of this?
In the November issue of Game informer, Capcom mentions, “You won’t recognize this character just by the voice, but this is a known character that’s very important to the RE universe, But you’ve got to be a core fan to know her. Really hardcore.”
Is it tied into a character from the original Resident Evil now that’s it’s being remastered again? Is it a character from Resident Evil Revelations? Someone from the Resident Evil movie series? One of the other obscure characters from a different game in the series?
Only time will tell. Leave your guesses in the comments. It’ll be fun to see if anyone guessed correctly once the game comes out.
In other news, the popular Raid Mode is also making a return from the first Resident Evil Revelations. Two confirmed DLC characters include fan favorites Hunk and Albert Wesker.
The initial launch date is Wednesday, February 18, but the actual date may vary due to the game coming out on both Xbox One and Xbox 360. Each week for four weeks, a new episode will be released to continue the game’s story. Each individual episode will be released for $5.99/£4.99/€5.99.
A season pass containing Episodes 2-4, two extra episodes and the popular Resident Evil character Hunk for Raid Mode will also be released, but the price is unknown at this time. This will most likely be used for the Xbox 360.
A complete season can be purchased for Xbox One featuring Episodes 1-4, two extra episodes and Hunk for Raid Mode for $24.99/£19.99/€24.99. If the complete season is pre-ordered, Capcom will throw in the Raid Mode Throwback Map pack for free as well.
A disc version of the game is planned for retailers at an MSRP of $39.99 and featuring the complete season content and more bonuses like the character Albert Wesker for Raid Mode. Gamers who plan to buy digitally will be happy to know that these bonuses are available to purchase separately.
To end this news post on a fun note, take a look at the original extended concept teaser for Resident Evil Revelations 2 that was released back in September of 2014. Why this trailer? It’s full of Resident Evil references, and Capcom only just a few days ago revealed every Easter egg in the video. Try to see how many of them you can spot.
Warning: may contain graphic images.
- From 0:12, the door opening is a reference to the loading screen door in Resident Evil 1-3.
- From 0:25, the character Rachael from Resident Evil Revelations can be seen in the background.
- From 0:23 onwards, the little girl running through the screen is Natalia Korda carrying her doll Lottie from the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 0:23 onwards, the green bracelets on various people seem to be part of a plot point from the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2
- From 0:26, a person is wearing a TerraSave shirt in a TerraSave party hall. TerraSave is the organization that both Claire Redfield and Moira Burton work at prior to the events of Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 0:23, the painting on the back wall is the Queen Zenobia from Resident Evil Revelations.
- From 0:44, a herb can be seen next to Rachael from Easter Egg Number 2. A herb is the classic way of healing in Resident Evil games.
- From 0:35, an umbrella can be seen standing on the ground floor. Umbrella is the pharmaceutical company that was responsible for the events of most of the earlier Resident Evil games.
- From 0:50, Barry Burton can be seen speaking to Moira Burton. The father and the daughter are both major characters in the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 0:52, the two clocks on the walls are supposed to be symbolic of the two different times that Claire and Barry’s scenarios occur in the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 0:55, a piece of tofu on a plate can be seen. Tofu is an iconic character from Resident Evil 2.
- From 1:01, the name Jill can be seen on a napkin. Jill is an iconic character from multiple Resident Evil games.
- From 1:04, an item box can seen. The item box is a place of storage of items in most Resident Evil games.
- From 1:08, eggs can be seen. Eggs were alternative healing items that were available in both Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5.
- From 1:29, the video switches to the island prison that will be featured in the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 1:32, a drawing from Franz Kafka is on the top left of the background. It might play an importance in the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 1:32, an afflicted is shown. The red bracelets seem to have a part to do with the afflicted in the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 1:32, two clocks similar to Easter egg 10 are revealed again.
- From 1:32, a surveillance camera can be seen in the background.
- From 1:34, a handprint can faintly be seen. Handprints were a collectible in Resident Evil Revelations.
- From 1:32, the sketchbook the woman is holding reads Itchy Tasty. Itchy Tasty was an iconic phrase from Resident Evil.
- From 1:50, Barry can be seen in the background.
- From 1:58, an afflicted can be seen holding a weapon. Afflicted are known to use weapons in the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2.
- From 2:35, a zombie. Zombies were the original classic enemies in early Resident Evil games.
- From 2:55, Claire and Moira can be seen in the background struggling against the afflicted.
This is a condensed but explanatory list from residentevil.net. Some of these were very easy to overlook at first.